History of the Village
Some interesting facts about the history of Lithopolis:
- The community was originally laid out in 1815 as “Centerville”
- In 1836, it was chartered as “Lithopolis”
- The name “Lithopolis” is derived from the Greek language and means “Stone City”
- The name is a reference to the large deposits of valuable stone that were found in and near the town
- The native stone was used in the construction of The Wagnalls Memorial Library
- Miller, Charles Christian (1912). History of Fairfield County, Ohio, and representative citizens. Chicago, Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co. p. 133.
- Overman, William Daniel (1958). Ohio Town Names. Akron, OH: Atlantic Press, p. 76.
- E. S. Hannum, Atlas of Fairfield County (1866), 24.
- Wikipedia: Lithopolis, Ohio
This photo gallery has been prepared to showcase some historical photographs of Lithopolis. If you have a historical photograph that you would like to share with us, please contact the Mayor.