Building and Zoning Department
This page has several major sections. Please click on one of the following links to jump to a section that is located further down the page:
- Building Services
- Zoning Services
The Building Department helps ensure safe structures through plan approval, inspection and enforcement. The standards applied are those of the Ohio Building Code and International Residential Code.
The Building Department enforces the Ohio Building Code through its contracted Chief Building Official, who provides both plan review and inspection services. The Consultant serves as the Administrator of the Ohio Building Code Department for State of Ohio compliance purposes and makes all required inspections. The Village and its Consultant inspect and enforce the International Residential Code for all new one-, two-, and three-family structures; all residential additions; and major alterations and remodelings that involve structural changes.
For all items to be reviewed, approved and inspected by the Lithopolis Building Department, the applicant must provide:
- Two complete sets of construction plans and specifications
- A total of three site plans
- A plan review deposit (non-refundable).
Click here for a Zoning Permit Application
Click here for a Residential Building Permit Application Packet
Click here for a Commercial Building Permit Application Packet
Building Permits Not Required
The following items do NOT require construction permits:
- Any remodeling project that does not include structural changes and includes like-for-like replacement in the same location, such as:
- Kitchen/Bath fixture replacement or remodeling
- Interior refinishing
- Door/Window replacement
- Roof/Gutter/Downspout repairs
- Driveway/Sidewalk repair, replacement, resurfacing if done to the Village’s standards (work in the right-of-way requires a permit)
- Tuck-pointing and/or repair of exterior masonry
- Basement waterproofing
- The following projects require a zoning permit or a special permit as noted:
- Radio antennas, masts or windmills greater than six feet above the main structure
- Any construction in the required side, front or rear yard setbacks
- Fire/Security detection systems (alarm owner’s permit from the local police and an installer’s permit)
Fees in accordance with the fee statement, this fee schedule, or notice received during construction are due and payable upon receipt of approved plans or notice during construction.
- If Zoning or Building Compliance is not approved prior to beginning construction, all fees are doubled.
- All fees are non-refundable.
Part 1 – Plan Examination Fee
A Plan Examination Fee will be assessed according to the schedule in the application packet and will cover the cost of plan reviews by the Plan Examiner:
Part 2 – Residential Construction
A. Blanket New Residential Permit
Each Building Permit issued under this section shall be charged a zoning fee as well.
A blanket residential permit may be issued to construct a new residential dwelling unit(s) (less than three dwelling units). The blanket fee does not include: reinspection, after-hours inspection or temporary occupancy. The blanket permit fee includes Final Certificate of Occupancy and related accessory buildings such as carports and garages, but does not include community spaces, pools, signage, or mail shelters. Blanket permit fees are not refundable. Change of contractor shall be accomplished only by a permit transfer.
B. Residential Alteration or Renovation
Permits for alterations/additions of existing buildings shall be issued to include only the work shown on the approved plans or specifications. A separate fee will be assessed for building/mechanical, plumbing, and electrical as applicable for the proposed alteration.
Each permit issued under this section shall be charged according to the schedule that is shown in the application packet. Additional inspections may be required based upon information submitted for plan review. Each additional inspection will be per schedule. Additional inspections as required at the discretion of the Building Official shall be noted on the issued permit. Permits for miscellaneous structures shall be issued to include only work shown on approved plans, specifications, and sketches and/or described in letter form.
Part 3 – Commercial Construction
A. New Buildings, Additions and Renovations
Permits for new buildings, additions, and renovations to existing buildings shall be issued to include only the work shown on the approved plans or specifications.
Fees for the new buildings, additions and/or renovations to existing buildings shall be based on floor or surface area to be computed as follows:
- All floor or surface areas include garage, carport, basement, cellar and sub-basement floors measuring the outside dimensions at each floor level.
- Crawl spaces and attic areas shall not be included.
- In buildings or areas where there are not walls, the area enclosed by the outside dimensions of the supporting columns shall be included.
- In buildings or areas where a roof is supported by a single row of columns, the horizontal projected area of the roof shall be included.
- Square footage fee schedule applies to areas of work for addition and renovation projects.
Minimum Permit Fee – Renovation in areas less than 100 square feet for building or where limited amount of work is to be performed:
- Plumbing: Less than 6 fixtures or devices
- Electrical: Less than 6 fixtures or devices
- HVAC: Less than 6 fixtures or devices or tying into existing ductwork
- Other work as determined by the Building Inspector
B. Commercial Fee Schedule
Each Building Permit issued under this section shall be charged a zoning fee.
A Plan Examination Fee will be assessed according to the schedule in the application packet and will cover the cost of plan reviews by the Plan Examiner.
Commercial permits shall be charged according to the schedule in the application packet. A change of contractor shall be accomplished only by a permit transfer.
Part 4 – Other
A. Inspection and Zoning Fees
- All fees are non-refundable.
- Fees are for a maximum number of inspections. Additional inspections are extra.
- The Final Occupancy Permit shall not be issued until all fees are paid in full.
- The Village Administrative Fee is 25% of the total fees collected, with the exception of the Ohio Board of Building Standards fee.
- The Village shall charge and pass onto the Ohio Board of Building Standards the fee required under ORC Section 3781.102(E). This fee is currently 1% for Residential and 3% for Commercial, but may be amended from time to time.
- All inspections except for water, sewer and sidewalks/driveways shall be called into Toole and Associates at (614) 224-2300 by 3:00 p.m. on the business day prior to inspection.
- Water, sewer and sidewalk/driveway inspections shall be called into the Village Office at (614) 837-2031 at least one business day prior to the requested inspection time.
Amanda Wolin is the Zoning Inspector.
Contact the Zoning Inspector
- Amanda Wolin, Zoning Inspector
P.O. Box 278
11820 Lithopolis Road
Lithopolis, OH 43136
- Phone: (614) 837-2031
- Fax: (614) 837-2722
- Email the Zoning Inspector